About The Centre
No matter what size your conference, event, trade show or exhibition, the multiple award-winning National Convention Centre Canberra is your destination.
The Centre is perfect for association, government and corporate conferences, as well as hosts concerts, charity dinners and corporate events.
Multiple award-winning, the National Convention Centre Canberra is the largest, purpose-built conference and event venue in the ACT. It connects you with everything you need for a successful event. The Centre offers more than 8200 sq metres of flexible space and 15 venues over two floors. This includes:
- Royal theatre
- Four purpose-built tiered theatres (various sizes)
- Exhibition Hall
- Five flat floor gallery rooms
- Four work rooms
- Various foyer areas.
Opened in 1989
The National Convention Centre Canberra, which opened in 1989, is owned by the ACT Government and managed by the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG). Our vision is to be "Australia’s greatest event venue by creating great experiences guests love". The Centre employs 154 staff and is a major contributor to the ACT’s tourism economy.
Our commitment to sustainability and responsible business practices is ingrained in our culture at the National Convention Centre Canberra. Our management and staff live responsible business. They breathe it and tackle it with passion. All activities are in line with our social responsibility strategy and guided by our Responsible Business Committee, in support of the environment, the community and those who work at the National Convention Centre Canberra.
In 2015, the National Convention Centre Canberra:
- won the Qantas Award for Excellence in Sustainable Tourism at the Canberra Region Tourism Awards
- was recognised as environmentally sustainable as part of its winning submission for Best Meetings and Events Venue, General Division, Australian Hotel Association Awards
- was recognised by the ACT Government’s Actsmart program for its ‘Actively Recycling’ efforts (for the fifth year in a row).
Our responsibility practices are integral to everything we do. Our responsible business quadrant is designed, delivered and measured against:
- minimising negative social, economic and environmental impacts
- enhancing the community’s wellbeing
- generating greater economic benefits for local people and local businesses.
Our energy program is extensive and includes specific initiatives such as:
- Replacing light bulbs with cleaner and more efficient LED lighting.
- Implementing a comprehensive recycling program which enabled us to save 176.47 tonnes of greenhouse gases and avoid sending 79.46 tonnes of waste to landfill in 2015 alone.
- Installing a building energy system that monitors output and reduces energy wherever possible.
- Implementing other green solutions as page of IHG Green Engage™, which includes more than 200 ways to improve environmental sustainability and manage our carbon footprint.
The National Convention Centre Canberra doesn’t exist in isolation. We're very much part of, and active in, our community. This includes through our strong, local partnerships, such as:
- OzHarvest Canberra (foundation partner). We donate hundreds of kilograms of rescued food for meals for vulnerable men, women and children.
- Ronald McDonald House. We provided $55,000 in sponsorship to raise funds to improve the health and wellbeing of children.
- Communities@Work. We donated 130 queen-size doonas and covers to needy families, as well as more than 40 kilograms of clothing.
- Orphanages and Schools Program. We provide excess conference materials, like pens, bags and hats, to overseas schools in need, through the Satchel Program.