The National Convention Centre Canberra is managed by InterContinental Hotels Group. (IHG)
IHG is an international hotel company whose goal is to create Great Hotels Guests Love, in Canberra we create Great Experiences Guests Love.
We have more guest rooms than any other hotel company in the world – that’s more than 650,000 rooms and over 4,600 hotels in 100 countries and territories around the world. Our guests make over 130 million stays in IHG hotels every year.
We operate seven hotel brands – InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites.
We want to grow by making our brands the first choice for guests and hotel owners.
Our strategy is to build the hotel industry’s strongest operating system focused on the biggest markets and segments where scale really counts.
Our operating system
IHG’s operating system is made up of all the things we do to drive demand for our brands. This includes our advertising and marketing campaigns, our 10 global call centres, 13 local language websites, an 8,000-strong sales force, Priority Club Rewards – the world’s largest hotel loyalty scheme with over 52 million members – and all the advantages that IHG’s global hotel distribution and scale brings to brand awareness.
Our focus on the biggest markets where our scale really counts ensures that we concentrate our resources on the opportunities that will provide the greatest return.
Our strategic priorities
Improving the performance of our brands
- Using our insight to make our brands the first choice for guests
- Delivering consistent customer experiences
Generating excellent returns from our hotels
- Improving hotel revenue by encouraging guest visits
- Improving the efficiency of our hotels and operating processes
Putting our market scale and knowledge to good use
- Using our worldwide scale and experience to convert more hotels to our brands
- Making the most of our global presence – guests choose brands they know when they travel
Strengthening our organisation
- Investing in our people and our ability to do business
- Building strong partnerships within our own company and with our owners across the world
Our business model
We operate hotels in three different ways – as a franchisor, a manager and on an owned and leased basis.
Our business model focuses on managing and franchising hotels, whilst our business partners own the bricks and mortar.
This is the largest part of our business: over 3,800 hotels operate under franchise agreements.
We manage 633 hotels worldwide.
We own 15 hotels worldwide (less than 1% of our portfolio).